Set Up Amazon Echo And Control Your Smart Home Devices (Via Alexa)
We all get the feelings of laziness. Whether it’s a long day after which we are completely exhausted or just a long day on the couch, a trip to the power switch to turn the lights off can be the hardest mission.
Luckily, there is a new way of doing these things – and it does not involve you peeling yourself off the couch to turn the lights off (or do other things). After all, we are living in smart times of technology – and Amazon Echo seems to be listening to our players.
Amazon Echo Can Let You Turn On/Off Your Smart Light, Plug And Switch Devices
All you need to say to trigger Amazon Echo is “Hey Alexa, turn off the living room light.” You won’t have to lift a finger or move away from the couch.
However, you need to make sure you have some of the devices that are linked to this system. To do that, tap “Add Device” in your Amazon Alexa app and select the device you are installing (Light, Plug or Switch). Then, tap the brand you are using (for example, GE for plug or Philips Hue for light). This will obviously work only if you have the Amazon-branded smart devices in your home.
If you are using brands other than Amazon, you can still control your smart home devices – this time, by downloading the brand-specific app to finish the setup.
The Smart Commands You Can Say To Control The Devices
Once you successfully set up the devices via Amazon, you can use Amazon’s voice assistant Alexa to control your lights, switches and plugs.
The Smart Light commands that you can say include:
- “Alexa, turn on the bedroom light.”
- “Alexa, dim the dining room lights.” — You need dimmable lights in order for this to work.
- “Alexa, set living room light to 30%.”
- “Alexa, set the bathroom light to blue.” (only works if you have color changing bulbs, of course.)
The Smart Plug commands are the following:
- “Alexa, turn off the plug in the bathroom.”
- “Alexa, turn off the plug in the kitchen.”
- “Alexa, turn on the plug in the living room.”
And the Smart Switch commands include:
- “Alexa, turn on the ceiling fan in the living room.”
- “Alexa, turn on the porch light.”
- “Alexa, turn on the bathroom fan.”
- “Alexa, turn off the kitchen fan.”
What a time to be alive, right?