GONZO OKANAGAN – WRITER GUIDELINES
GO! MUSIC, FILM, ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT, TECHNOLOGY, SPORTS, FASHION, SCIENCE, TOURISM, CULTURE…LIFE!
GONZO OKANAGAN is a bold and daring arts and entertainment media, devoted to uncovering the real face of Canada’s Music, Film, Technology, Sports, Arts & Entertainment and Cultural Communities. Written with grit, sarcasm, and humour. Dedicated to the support and perpetuation of Canadian Artists, Film Organizations, Cultural Advocates and beyond!
Gonzo writing is a form of writing that is of or associated with journalistic writing of an exaggerated, subjective, and fictionalized style. The style was first made popular by Hunter S. Thompson. It is important to note at GONZO OKANAGAN we accept all styles of writing, Gonzo included, however, we do not accept articles with profanity, sexual content, or that encourage drug and alcohol use.
We accept articles on a wide range of subjects. All freelance writers must pitch their articles to the publisher or content manager prior to submission. All in-house writers will be given a schedule for submissions. All articles must be original and unpublished. WE DO NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICTED ARTICLES.
Submissions must be made by email, attached as a Microsoft Word Document. All submissions are on speculation only and publication is not guaranteed. Publication is dependent on the quality of writing.
LENGTH & FORMAT
• The preferred article length is from 400 to 600 words, longer articles must be cleared by the publisher or content manager.
• Include a title and always include your name, address, phone number, e-mail, word count, and available rights at the top of the first page of your story.
• Include at the end of your article, your bio (if not previously submitted), photo captions with name of file, sources, and (if any) interview contacts.
• We use only Canadian spelling, leave only one-character space between sentences. Leave one line space between paragraphs.
• Do not format your article which means; no paragraph indentions, no inserted photos, no fancy fonts, no tables, no columns, etc.
VISUAL MATERIAL (PHOTOS)
Please include only high quality, visual material for your article. Photographs, sketches, maps, historical documents etc. should be sharp and well lit. We prefer that digital images be sent at original size with no cropping, adjustments or re-sampling. Scans must be submitted at no less than 300dpi. Photos should be sent attached, via email, with your article. If you are sending multiple large photos we invite you to use wetransfer.com. We request 1 or 2 photos per article. You may take your own photos, request photos from the content source, or use a media commons outlet such as https://commons.wikimedia.org/ Please include photo credits with each photo.
We do not pay for photos or any other supporting visual material.
Paid positions are available depending on experience and quality of article(s).