Summer 2021 is nearly in the books. As I review my calendar and check out the produce charts for what’s ripe now, I think how lucky we are the Okanagan culinary scene flows with the season. Bursts of brilliant fresh flavours appear as seductively as models on a catwalk.
Then the other side of that blessing hits me: the Okanagan culinary scene is seasonal and some of the outstanding options for dining will be closed before we know it!
Now is the time to look at your checklist and book those patio meals we’ll soon be missing.
TERRACE RESTAURANT AT MISSION HILL
I can hardly believe it was June when I last ate at the Terrace Restaurant. Mission Hill Family Estate is a flagship destination for wine touring in the Okanagan. It is one of those places you always feel confident in recommending to visitors.
Right from the dramatic narrow entry way that forces you to slow down, Mission Hill guides you through an exquisite experience.
The grounds are immaculate and offer in addition to sumptuous vineyards and gardens, stunning architecture and art. The tasting room and gift shop invite you to linger and perhaps buy some incredible items you didn’t even know you needed – for yourself or for some special person.
The tours are well conceived and guided by exceptional staff who respond well to guest’s preferences and understand the array of fine wine selections. It isn’t all that surprising that Mission Hill has received multiple best varietal awards internationally and is Canada’s only five-time winery of Winery of the Year.
The Terrace Restaurant pays homage to the region in its culinary philosophy, “Like our wines, our culinary practices are rooted within the valley. Locality, seasonality, simplicity, and resourcefulness inspire every dish we serve you.”
When you opt into a wine paired meal, the selections are perfect given the culinary team and winemaking team work closely together. Until October, the Terrace Restaurant is open from noon to 8 pm daily and offers a two-course lunch or four-course dinner in which you are immersed in the terroir and taste of the Okanagan Valley.
Seasonal Dining You Need to Book Now if you can still get in:
• The Kitchen by Abul Adame at Da Silva Winery – The Kitchen by Abul Adame at Da Silva Winery
• Hillside Bistro at Hillside Winery – Hillside Bistro at Hillside Winery
• The Patio at Lake Breeze Winery – The Patio at Lake Breeze Winery
• Legends Distilling – Legend Distilling
• Nighthawk Vineyard – Nighthawk Vineyard
• See You Later Ranch – See You Later Ranch
• Paisley Notebook – Paisley Notebook
• Terrafina at Hester Creek Winery – Terrafina at Hester Creek Winery
• The Patio at Nk’Mip Cellars The Patio at Nk’Mip Cellars – The Patio at Nk’Mip Cellars
• Joy Road Catering Al Fresco Dinners – Joy Road Catering
• Salt & Thieves at Crown & Thieves – Salt & Thieves at Crown & Thieves
• Dirty Laundry Vineyard – Dirty Laundry Vineyard
So many superb choices, so little time left this season! What other ones have I missed?
SEASONAL PATIOS/SEASONAL WINERIES
As grapes and late fruit ripen in the Valley, it’s also a reminder that many of those great patios of year-round restaurants, breweries, distilleries and wineries you’ve so enjoyed will be closing, too. Seize the season while you can!
Additionally, many wineries reduce hours or open only for appointments. Best to book your tastings now so you can stock up for those dark winter months.